Deployed in multi-faceted roles, Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) is responsible for the safety and security of the important public and private establishments like airports, power plants, important government buildings, Melhi metro etc. It also performs the tasks like VIP security and the disaster management. Currently, CISF is guarding 307 public and private undertakings 58 of which are the airports, and 18 of those airports are considered ‘sensitive’. It also has a full-fledged fire wing under operation.
Given the growing concern for the security, the roles of this force are becoming more and more crucial. The need for high-end equipment to supplement such important roles is turning out to be an inevitable option. The entire expenditure of the new equipment, however, is borne by the organisations where the force is deployed.
Access Control Equipment
- Biometric systems at the airports like fingerprint scanning and recognition to authenticate the user. While some of the airports maintained by the private organisations already possess some biometric systems, Airport authority of India (AAI) may have the requirement for the airports under their supervision.
- Restricted area door locking systems in airports and other sensitive areas like nuclear plants, space installations, important government buildings, etc.
- Turnstiles, gates and barriers.
- Rising kerbs, ramps and road blocks to provide high level security against unauthorised vehicle access.
- Telescopic Bollards that can be lowered into the ground when not in use.
- RF Electronic Article Surveillance (EAR) systems and wired alarm clips to reduce incidents of theft.
Search/ Screening Equipment
Some of the search and screening equipment is in use at the metros, museums and other government buildings etc. The requirement, however, is growing in the current circumstances especially in cities like Delhi and Mumbai as the concern for the security is growing day by day.
- Hand-held metal detectors
- Walk through metal detectors
- X-ray baggage inspection system
- Explosives Trace Detector (ETD) to detect the traces of explosives in small magnitude.
- Explosive Vapour Detector (EVD) preferably the light weight, portable and high sensitive device, which can be used by any policeman readily
- Hand held narcotics detector
- Liquid scanner and shoe scanners
- Full body scanners
- Parcel X-ray viewer (RTVS)
Perimeter Protection Systems
- Perimeter Intrusion Detection systems (PIDS) like Microwave barriers, virtual fence devices etc. Some of the integrated surveillance systems networked together to form a virtual-fence for a specified area can be a very useful system for the high security areas.
- Intruder deterrent systems like electrified barriers to use as a fence, which provides a non-lethal but painful shock when anyone gets in contact with the fence simultaneously triggering the alarm
- Video motion detection sensors
- Active and passive infrared detection units
- Anti-climb spinners that can be fitted to the existing fences to prevent the intrusion
- High-end VHF, HF, UHF wireless equipment that not only enables the uninterrupted communication between different troops but also eliminates the disturbances and interceptions, if any.
- Burst error control system of tele-printer (BEST) equipment for the communication with no interruptions, which is in use for the CISF, the requirement however, is growing rapidly.
- GPS with a long duration battery and the GPS tracker
- CCTV cameras which can work in low visibility as well.
- Video surveillance devices that compliments the CCTV devices to record and keep a live monitoring of all the sensitive areas.
- Aerial surveillance using the visual imagery from an air borne vehicle such as an unmanned aerial Vehicle (UAV). Micro aerial vehicles which can send the high resolution images even in the conditions of low visibility would be better suited for sensitive areas.
Bomb Detection and Disposal Systems
As there is a danger of the explosions in the areas that is guarded by the CISF, the force is also trained to handle bomb disposal systems. The requirement is huge for such equipment as well, as listed below.
- Bomb blankets/ Bomb suites
- Bomb container/ isolator
Fire Detection And Supression Systems, Crowd Control Equipment
- Hydraulic platforms and aerial ladder platforms
- Conventional fire apparatus like fire engine or fire track fitted with equipment such as ladders, pike poles, axes and cutting equipment, fire extinguishers, ventilating equipment etc.
- Evacuation systems