Force Magazine

 Summer Heats Up
Infiltration attempts by militants keep security forces on their toes

GOC 19 Div, Maj. Gen. V.G. KhandareIt’s been a major setback for security forces in the Kashmir Valley, with militants carrying out two major strikes in past one month, killing eight security personnel. In the meantime, their efforts to infiltrate more men into Kashmir continue.

On May 25, four army men were killed in a forest village in Tral area of South Kashmir during an operation launched against the Hizbul Mujahideen militants. The 42 and 3 Rashtriya Rifles of counter-insurgency Victor Force of army and Special Operation Group of Jammu and Kashmir Tral launched an operation in the forest area near village of Bicchu Bala in Tral South Kashmir. Militants, who were hiding in the forests, opened fire. In the confrontation, four men of 3 Rashtriya Rifles (RR), Riflemen Dalbeer Singh, Ashwin Kumar and Ajeet Singh, and Constable Kanwaljeet Singh, lost their lives. The militants lost only one of their men, Saifullah Ahangar, 21, alias Burhan of Hariparigam Tral in South Kashmir. He was studying in SSM Engineering College Parihaspora in Pattan, North Kashmir and had joined militancy only two months ago. This attack turned out to be a major blow to the army and comes almost a month after four policemen were killed by Hizbul Mujahideen militants in North Kashmir Sopore area.

In an earlier incident on April 26, four policemen were killed when they went to investigate a police case in village Haigam. Inspector General of Police (IGP) A. G. Mir informed that the four policemen were, Head Constable Abdul Rehman, Constable Mudasir Ahmad and SPOs Gulshan and Mudasir Ahmad Parray. The cops became unsuspecting victims when the militants laid a trap by making the sarpanch, Guam Mohammad Mir, to call the police on the pretext of a robbery case. As the police party reached the spot, the militants killed all the four cops and decamped with their rifles. Following this incident, the police, army and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) launched massive operations to nab the militants but they could not be traced.

However, nearly a month later, they managed to kill a top Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) commander for North Kashmir, Hilal Molvi. The encounter took place after the police and CRPF surrounded a residential house in the densely populated area in Narparistan Fateh Kadal after receiving specific information about the militant’s presence. Police said that Hilal fired on them when he was asked to surrender. “The fire was returned in which Hilal Molvi was killed,” said the police.

Hilal was wanted in 10 FIRs lodged at different police stations for his role in incidents related to militancy. “He was involved in the killings of a sarpanch in Palhalan and civilian Bashir Ahmad of Kunzer. He was also responsible for grenade attacks in Pattan and was actively involved in extending the network of militants at various places in the Valley, and burning of the police station Pattan in 2010,” said the police.

[View Full Story]
Comments(0) Share

  © 2013 FORCE ARROWHEAD MEDIA PVT. LTD. All Rights Reserved. Private Area | Link Directory | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | Sitemap